After a couple of days there, most people find it difficult to leave Las Vegas.

However, that isn’t the case for a group of Alice, San Diego and Corpus Christi people who are in Las Vegas this morning for a men’s softball tournament. Their weekend of softball put them just blocks away from a horrific and deadly mass shooting on the Las Vegas Strip Sunday night.

No one traveling with the Los Fluffy’s men's softball team was injured or at the site of the shooting, but the experience of knowing it happened just down the Strip and then seeing Las Vegas police and deputies dressed in combat gear and mobilizing around downtown, including in their hotel, was more than enough to make the group miss South Texas.

The group was at The D Casino when the shooting occurred. They were listening to live music when police began to make their way into the hotel and casino to secure the area. That’s when the reality of the situation first hit.

“I freaked out when I saw police officers all shielded with guns outside,” said Jo Anne Garcia, who was traveling with the group to see her husband, Manuel, play in the tournament. “They were making sure there weren’t any more shooters.”

In what is being described as the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, more than 50 people were killed and more than 450 were injured when a lone gunman opened fire on the Las Vegas Strip Sunday night.

The Strip was crowded because of a country music festival and a Jason Aldean concert.

According to published reports, the gunman, 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, fire a “hailstorm” of bullets from the 32nd floor of the nearby Mandalay Bay Hotel. Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said the gunman died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound before lawmen could gain entry into his room.

Los Fluffy’s were in Las Vegas to compete in the LVSSA/SSUSA World Masters Championship. They finished their tournament Sunday afternoon, and placed 15th out of 85 teams.

In all, the group included 21 people from Alice, San Diego and Corpus Christi. The group was scheduled to fly out of Las Vegas after 2 p.m. Monday.