Turns out Alice quarterback Andres Barrios’ final effort in a Coyote uniform was one of the best performances in the state this weekend, according to Dave Campbell’s Texas Football.
Considered the bible of Texas football, the publication’s website, wwww.texasfootball.com, nominated Barrios for its weekly statewide honor, Mr. Texas Football Player of the Week for Week 11 of the regular season.
Voting is currently ongoing on the website, and the winner is announced at 12:30 p.m. Friday.
Barrios is one of 10 high school players up for the award, and his numbers from Friday night certainly make him a worthy candidate. The Alice High School senior threw for eight touchdown passes and rushed for another to help the Coyotes to a 76-7 victory against Corpus Christi Moody in a District 30-5A interzone match-up Friday night in Memorial Stadium.
Barrios ended the game by completing 24 of 30 passes for 476 yards. He had completions to four different receivers, each of which finished the game with more than 100 yards in receiving.
For the season, Barrios finished as the Coastal Bend’s top passer in Class 5A with 259 attempts and 139 completions for 1,877 yards and 19 touchdowns.
The other athletes nominated for the Texas Football honor are:
• Port Neches-Groves QB Roschon Johnson - 246 yards, 6 TDs rushing
• Comfort RB Jason Faulkner - 374 yards, 5 TDs rushing; receiving TD
• Waco Reicher QB Jeric Smith - 395 yards, 7 TDs passing
• Frisco Heritage QB Amare Jones - 407 yards, 8 TDs rushing; 134 yards, TD passing
• Paul Pewitt WR Tyshun Mitchell - 7 catches, 133 yards, 4 TDs receiving; 2 INT for TD, 3 PBU, 6 tackles
• Lake Travis QB Charlie Brewer - 24-of-25 passing, 242 yards, 5 TDs; rush TD
• McKinney North RB Lamar Lucas - 311 yards, 4 TDs rushing
• Robinson QB Chase Allison - 22-of-30, 405 yards, 5 TDs passing
• Ennis RB Tycen Thompson - 251 yards, 5 TDs rushing