Superintendent Henry Herrera waits in front of Alice High School with law enforcement as the bomb sniffing K-9 was securing the building during a bomb threat on Monday. Photo by OFELIA GARCIA HUNTER

Threat second alleged act of violence at AHS in five days

Ofelia Garcia Hunter, Alice Echo-News Journal

Alice High School students were evacuated at 2:11 p.m. Monday after a bomb threat was phoned in to school administrators, police said.

Hundreds of students were immediately escorted by faculty and staff to Memorial Stadium and the baseball complex.

"We were supposed to go to the stadium, but they turned us around and sent us to the baseball complex," said Christopher Ojeda, a senior. "It took a while and everyone was a little crazy. We were panicking for a bit."

School officials said law enforcement agencies worked with them to secure the area.

"They brought in a K-9 to secure everything…now it's clear and they can get to their cars," Superintendent Henry Herrera said. "You can't take any chances."

Herrera said the safety of the students is their priority.

Herrera thanked the Jim Wells County Sheriff's Department, the Alice Police Department and the Alice Fire Department for their immediate response.

After an hour and 15 minutes, at 3:25 p.m., students were able to enter the school or go home.

Law enforcement agencies used a K-9 to sniff the interior and exterior of the school including each of the parking lots.

"It appeared that a threat came in by phone," Police Chief Danny Bueno said. "The good thing about it is that the school has a system that can identify callers and numbers."

Bueno said they will be investigating the phone logs to identify the caller.

Bueno said the caller was identified as a man.

Student Matthew Reyes, 16, said the weather was on their side Tuesday afternoon.

"It was good, I got out of OCS," he said. "But for the weather, it was great."

The bomb threat came in five days after a student at AHS was arrested for threatening to bring a weapon to school to harm others.

School staff reported the threats to police and the 16-year-old freshman was arrested.