Almost everyday since March reports of coronavirus (COVID-19) cases have been reported in South Texas.
On Monday evening, officials in Duval and Jim Wells Counties reported their first COVID-19 related deaths along with additional cases.
Duval County reports one COVID-19 related death and 15 new cases
The Duval County Emergency Management coordinator confirmed that the Texas Department of State Health Services DSHS) announced there had been one COVID-19 related death in the county. Monday evening the county also reported an additional 15 cases for a total of 143.
COVID-19 related deaths are delayed due to procedures and privacy laws.
The first death for Duval County occurred on July 16, 2020, according to the DSHS and Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi (TAMUCC). Specifics about the individual has not been released.
"Fatalities - one that has been confirmed. I know we have more, but the state has not reported these cases until they get confirmation," according to a post on the Duval County Emergency Management Facebook page.
The newest cases for Duval County are:
* Case #129: female in her teen’s
* Case #130: female in her 50's
* Case #131: male in his 30''s
* Case #132: female in her 40's
* Case #133: female in her 20's
* Case #134: male in his teen’s
* Case #135: male in his 30's
* Case #136: female in her 50's
* Case #137: male in his 40's
* Case #138: male in his 70's
* Case #139: male in his 40's
* Case #140: female in her 50's
* Case #141: male in his 50's
* Case #142: female in her teen’s
* Case #143: female in her 40's
According to the Duval County Emergency Management Facebook post, there are 77 active cases and 65 out of isolation cases.
JWC reports 14 additional cases and 3 deaths
The number of COVID-19 cases in JWC has risen by 14 and for the first time since March has confirmed three COVID-19 related deaths.
According to a press release by county officials, the DSHS and TAMUCC reported the three deaths on their websites. No information about the victims have been reported by county officials.
The deaths are delayed due to procedures and privacy laws.
The first death in JWC was on June 28, 2020, the second death was on July 4, 2020, and the third death was on July 10, 2020, according to the DSHS and TAMUCC.
The 14 new cases bring the total reported cases to 545 cases for the county. The new cases are:
* Case #532: male under 10
* Case #533: female in her 30’s
* Case #534: female under 10
* Case #535: male in his 10’s
* Case #536: female in her 20’s
* Case #537: female in her 50’s
* Case #538: female in her 30’s
* Case #539: female in her 20’s
* Case #540: female in her teen’s
* Case #541: female in her 50’s
* Case #542: female in her teen’s
* Case #543: male in his 20’s
* Case #544: female in her 30’s
Case #545: female in her 30’s
The county currently has 269 cases removed from isolation and 273 active cases.
Note: All COVID-19 numbers are updated online at www.alicetx.com and can be seen on Alice Echo – News Journal Facebook and Twitter pages.