The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) Help Line opened a hotline to help victims with damage from Hurricane Hanna. The number is 1-800-252-3439 and is open from 9 a.m. till 4 p.m.
To help the claims process go smoother, TDI recommends:
* Keep a list of everyone you talk to at your insurance company. Be ready to answer questions about the damage.
* Make a list of damaged property. Take pictures or video. Don't throw anything away until your insurance company tells you to.
* Take steps to protect your home from further damage. Cover broken windows and holes to keep rain out and prevent vandalism or theft.
* Try to be there when the insurance company comes to inspects the damage. If you can’t stay in your home, leave a note with information on where you can be reached.
* Ask your agent about additional living expenses. If you’re forced out of your home to make repairs, your insurance policy may pay for some of those expenses.
* Consumers also can send questions to TDI at consumerprotection@TDI.texas.gov.
For more information, see Help after the storm: