While the Coronavirus (COVID-19) interrupted the 2019-2020 school year, students are still looking forward to the future and getting ready for college.
Alice residents, Robin and Servando “Wolf” Garza decided that they would help students with a scholarship. The Garza family decided to open a scholarship to students in Jim Wells County. The scholarship is for students who live in the county regardless of the school they attend. For example, the student can attend Agua Dulce or San Diego and still be eligible for the scholarship.
On Wednesday, the Garza family announced the 2020 Jim Wells County Junior Citizen of the Year Scholarship Awards Program. Under the program, two scholarships will be awarded; one $500 for a female senior and one $500 for a male senior.
“It’s important to give back to our community. As parents of an Alice “Junior Citizen of the Year” nominee, we understand the feeling of pride and accomplishment our young adults feel when being considered for such a distinguished honor,” the Garza's said. “Our family would like to contribute to the tradition of representing our outstanding junior citizens by inviting the Jim Wells communities to participate in the first 'Junior Citizen of Jim Wells County.'”
In the past the Alice Junior Citizen of the Year scholarship was awarded by the Alice Chamber of Commerce, but due to its closing the scholarship is not available to students.
“Although our award was inspired by Alice’s 'Junior Citizen of the Year,' our award is independent from the (Alice) Chamber of Commerce and is not in competition with their award,” the Garza's said. “Let's celebrate our outstanding young citizens who shine both academically in their studies and honorably in their communities.”
The scholarship guidelines and priorities include:
* Seeking graduating seniors with a record of volunteerism in the community in non-school sponsored activities and participation in extracurricular school activities.
* Applicants must plan to attend a two-year community college or a four-year college or university.
* Scholarship funds will be paid during the month of August 2020 – directly to the student. The scholarship funds will be issued to the student upon receiving a certificate of enrollment for the fall semester.
* Applicants must have the endorsement of their guidance counselor on their application attesting they are qualified for this scholarship program.
* Applications must be received no later than May 15, 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
* The scholarship includes an essay question “How has the COVID-19 changed your life? How has it altered your career path going forward?”
A scholarship committee will review applications and the scholarships will be awarded on June 2, 2020.
For the application or for more information contact the Garza's at 361-701-7035 or via email email@example.com.