Domestic Violence Support Groups
• Domestic Violence Support Groups are now forming. For information call the Women’s Shelter — The Purple Door, outreach office in Alice, Texas at 664-8598.
Victims of Crime Program
• Confidential services for victims in Hidalgo, Cameron, Willacy, Starr, Brooks, Jim Hogg, Zapata, Duval, Jim Wells and Kleberg counties. Contact Cynthia Arevalo at 361-325-5604 ext. 5. For victims that have been affected by violent crimes.
• N.O.A.H. Meetings 2nd Tuesday of every month at 6:15 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church in Alice across from the Post Office, use the First Street entrance.
City of Alice Landfill Hours
• City of Alice Landfill will start accepting waste from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturday. Waste from the public will stop being accepted at 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday. The City of Alice Landfill sign will also be revised to reflect the changes to the Landfill’s posted waste acceptance hours.
Migrant Head Start
• The Teaching and Mentoring Communities (Migrant Head Start) services children 6-weeks to school age, providing educational, special-needs, health, nutrition, social, transportation and parental involvement services. Contact the Alice office at 1200 S. Texas Blvd., 361-668-0462 or toll-free at 1-888-838-5151 for information.
Al-anon and AA meetings
• Al-anon Group meeting every Monday at 6 p.m. (for friends and family members who are concerned about their loved ones drinking). Alcoholics Anonymous meets Monday to Thursday at 7 p.m. Both groups meet at the Church of the Advent — Episcopal Church 200 N Wright (on the corner of N Wright and 2nd Street). Enter through gates on 2nd Street behind the Church.
• Odyssey HealthCare of Corpus Christi, a hospice, is seeking volunteers in the Alice area. All training will be done in Alice. Call Sandra Brown at 361-992-2700 for information.
• The CHRISTUS Spohn Hospice and Palliative Care program is seeking volunteers to visit terminally ill patients, provide respite for the caregiver and run errands for the families in the area. Call volunteer coordinator Susana Beltran at 361-994-3450 or 800-371-0115 for information.
Area Agency on Aging
• The Area Agency on Aging is seeking outgoing volunteers to advocate and recruit for advocates for nursing home residents. Call 1-800-817-5743 for information.
• Need to talk to a licensed professional counselor about your problems but you don’t have the money to pay the fees? The First United Methodist Church offers church-based counseling services for the entire family, addressing many areas of concern. To make an appointment, contact Richard Sanchez at 361-442-3670.
Doing for the Least Ministries
• Doing for the Least Ministries offers Christian counseling and mentoring. Private counsel and encouragement is available for anyone with behavioral, addictive and health problems. This ministry is involved in nursing homes and healthcare facilities. Individual visits and Bible groups are also done at these facilities weekly. Visits are also made for family members of those in a healthcare facility and those with behavioral and addictive problems. Sunday evening home fellowship starts at 6 p.m. at 3363 North Highway 281 lot 16 north of Alice. For more info contact Ronnie Talbert at 361-331-0824 or at www.doingfortheleast.com.
Connecting Kids to Coverage
• Connecting Kids to Coverage campaign to apply for affordable or no-cost health, dental and vision insurance. CHIP and Medicaid on-site application assistance at 1-855-727-3647. Locations in Alice, Sinton, Laredo, Falfurrias and Corpus Christi.
CASA Volunteer Training
• Brush Country CASA holds free CASA Volunteer training classes every second Wednesday of the month from 12 to 12:45 p.m. at the Alice Chamber of Commerce. Contact the CASA office at 595-7233, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit: www.brushcountrycasa.org.
• Spaulding for Children, a no-fee adoption agency, seeks loving families to adopt special needs children. For more information call 361-850-8200, or visit www.spauldingforchildren.org.
Help for Victims
• Help for Victims is a program under the Duval County Attorney’s Office designed to help families and victims of domestic violence. If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, help is available and is located at the Duval Courthouse in San Diego, Texas. Call 279-6223. All services are confidential.
• This free class is open to the public so come over or bring your loved one. September line up, Meridian Care of Alice. "SeniorFitToday" Would like to invite you to "Get Fit Where You Sit." Tuesdays 10:30 a.m. located at Meridian Care of Alice.