Fire chief applauds nearby head start on their emergency plans

Alice Fire Department responded to a report of smoke coming from an apartment on the 100 block of Olmito Wednesday.

The fire began in the oven but was quickly extinguished. 

A nearby head start center was evacuated and no injuries were reported.

Damage to the apartment was confined to the oven. However, there was heavy smoke damage. 

"We would like to acknowledge and recognize that the staff at the head start center did an excellent job at enacting their emergency plans," said Fire Chief Patrick J. Thomas.

The fire department wants to remind everyone that cooking safety should always be in the mind when cooking anywhere.