EDINBURG, Texas – The weekend activity reflects that smugglers continue their efforts to exploit a border lacking personnel, technology, and infrastructure.
Agents encountered 31 alien smuggling cases that yielded 111 illegal alien apprehensions and the arrest of 44 principals.
Four narcotic smuggling cases resulted in the seizure of over 554 pounds of marijuana.
Agents rescued 17 illegal aliens in distress in response to 911 calls.
One 18th Street and four MS-13 gang members were arrested.
Friday, July 27, 2018
- Three Corpus Christi agents responded to an active shooter situation at a nursing home and helped secure the scene.
- Falfurrias agents stopped an alien smuggling attempt of 14 illegal aliens hidden inside a box truck.
- Agents working with Hidalgo County Constables and San Juan police officers disrupted a stash house that resulted in the apprehension of 13 illegal aliens. The alleged caretaker is a documented MS-13 gang member from El Salvador.
- Rio Grande City agents found an abandoned vehicle with 92 rounds of .223 ammunition in it.
- Weslaco agents arrested a Salvadoran national who is a member of the 18th Street gang.
- McAllen agents apprehended an MS-13 gang member.
- Weslaco agents, in collaboration with the Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office, disrupted a stash house that resulted in the apprehension of 16 illegal aliens. Three were unaccompanied children.
- Kingsville agents rescued an illegal alien in response to a 911 call.
Saturday, July 28, 2018
- Border Patrol and BORTAC agents responded to an alleged active shooter situation at the La Plaza Mall. Seven Mexican nationals who are illegally in the United States were arrested for their involvement in the botched robbery attempt.
- Falfurrias agents apprehended a Guatemalan national whose record checks revealed a previous arrest for indecent assault and battery of a child under 14 years of age.
- McAllen agents arrested a Salvadoran national that is an MS-13 gang member.
- Rio Grande City agents arrested a Salvadoran national whose records revealed to be an MS-13 gang member.
- McAllen agents stopped an alien smuggling attempt and arrested the United States citizen driver and five illegal aliens.
- McAllen agents and DPS troopers stopped an alien smuggling attempt by conducting a traffic stop that resulted in the apprehension of a United States citizen driver and four illegal aliens.
Sunday, July 29, 2018
- Falfurrias agents rescued three illegal aliens in response to two 911 calls.
- A Mexican national assaulted a Falfurrias agent.
- With the assistance of the Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office, Weslaco agents stopped an alien smuggling attempt resulting in six apprehensions.
The Rio Grande Valley Sector currently has multiple campaigns focused on rescues and danger awareness, such as “Operation Big Rig” and “No Se Arriesgue” to combat smuggling and ultimately save lives. Call 911 to report suspicious activity; “They’re humans, not cargo!”
Please visit www.cbp.gov to view additional news releases and other information pertaining to Customs and Border Protection. Follow us on Twitter at @CBPRGV.