Name: Matthew Lara
Parents: Donna and Jose Lara
- I plan to attend Texas A&M Corpus Christi where I will continue my education in nursing. While attending Texas A&M I will also be continuing my running career collegiately. I have been blessed by receiving an athletic scholarship to be part of the Islander cross country and track team. After receiving my Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN), I plan to move to North Texas where I will study to earn my Master’s degree in Nursing (MSN). I plan to become a Nurse Practitioner and specialize in orthopedics.
- I am a four-year varsity member of the cross-country, track, swim team, two year-varsity member of the soccer team and a member of the National Honor Society.
- I am ranked in the top 30 of my graduating class,I am a state qualifier for cross-country, I currently hold the school record for the fastest 5K, two-year most valuable player (MVP) recipient in cross country, one-time fighting heart award winner for cross country, one- time honorable mention soccer recipient, All academic recipient.
- The best advice I have ever received was from my summer track coach Adrian Marquez before running the state cross country meet. He said “running is like life in the middle of the race it's going to get hard but when you think about it, all you have to do is put one foot in front of the other and stay focused at the matter at hand. Remember to keep it simple and live in the moment.” This reminds me everyday that when life gets hard never give up, enjoy the little things in life because tomorrow is never promised.
- I see myself in five years moving to North Texas finishing up my master’s program and taking care people.
- If I could change anything in the world, it would be to give a free college education to graduating seniors. Having a better education is key to solving the problems we have today. Imagine a world where we would have all the answers to solve any problem that come our way. With this we could come together and make the world a better place.
- If I could invite any three people to dinner, I would invite my good friend John Tello because he is a down to earth person and he always make me laugh, Glenn Rupp because I could learn so much more from him about running. I’m pretty sure he could give me tips for succeeding at the next level in my career. Lastly, Kevin Hart because he is not afraid to be himself and he loves making people laugh.
- Favorite Food: Chicken Alfredo
- Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
- Favorite Movie: Hacksaw Ridge
- Favorite Town in Texas: Austin
- Favorite Vacation Spot: Disney World
Teen of the Week exclusively sponsored by Guaranty Title and Alice Echo-News Journal