Freer – A house fire on the 800 block of Johnson Street was struck by a bolt of lightning and went up in flames, according to officials.

The Freer Fire Department was called out at approximately 2:51 p.m. on Sunday for a structure fire.

According to officials, a witness told fire fighters that they heard a loud boom followed by a flash of light and then saw the home on fire.

The home is being constructed.

According to the National Weather Service Center, their was a thunderstorm with lightning activity near Freer between the hours of 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. Sunday.

The residence next door to the fire suffered heat damage to the siding.

According to officials, the woman in that home was awaken when her smoke detecters went off.

No injuries were reported.

Officials urge everyone to check their smoke detectors every six months.