A man in his 70s was transported to the hospital on Tuesday for smoke inhalation after a fire erupted in his home, fire officials said.

The Alice Fire Department was called to a residence on the 400 block of Loma Street. When they arrived one of the occupants of the home, Roque Salinas, told the fire department a candle in the bathroom may have caused the fire, according to Alice Fire Marshall Patrick Thomas.

Preliminary investigations point to the cause of the fire as the candle Salinas described, Thomas stated.

The bathroom received significant damage while the rest of the home had smoke damage.

Alice Police Officers and Fire Fighters had Salinas on the front lawn until paramedics arrived.

The fire department aired out the home to the best of their ability.