Ben Bolt Firefighters responded to a house fire on the 1200 block of Farm-to-Market 2508 in Ben Bolt, Texas on Friday night.

The department received the call at approximately 7:22 p.m. and upon the departments arrival a small fire was located in a bedroom on the second floor of the residence.

Everyone was out of the home and there were no injuries reported to fire officials.

Damage was sustained to a portion of the bedroom where the fire originated. The area was checked with a thermal imaging camera for any indications of any fire spread.

Fire Chief Patrick J. Thomas credits the quick thinking of the homeowner who used a portable fire extinguisher to help put out the fire. Without his quick thinking the damage could have been a lot more severe.

The cause of the fire was determined to have been started by a juvenile playing with a lighter.  

Chief Thomas wants to remind residents to keep lighters and matches away from curious minds, learn how to use portable fire extinguishers, and always get out and stay out if a fire occurs in your home.