Five ways to have fun this weekend
1. Head to the movies to see “Joy,” the wild true story of Joy Mangano and her Italian-American family across four generations centered on the girl who becomes the woman who founds a business dynasty by inventing the Miracle Mop and becomes a matriarch in her own right. Like David O. Russell’s previous films, “Joy” defies genre to tell a story of family, loyalty and love. Jennifer Lawrence stars with Robert De Niro and Bradley Cooper.
2. To everyone who celebrates the holiday: Merry Christmas! With many people off work and school, it’s a day to gather together with friends and family to exchange presents, enjoy a holiday meal and spread some Christmas cheer. Whether you’re celebrating for religious or secular reasons, Christmas is a great opportunity to explore your family traditions and spread joy through acts of kindness like volunteering.
3. Dec. 26 is National Thank You Note Day so before you forget who gave you what this holiday season, get out a notepad and write some special thank you notes. A personalized message has special meaning and the receiver will enjoy getting a thank you in the mail. Use #NationalThankYouNoteDay to post on social media.
4. If you’re still longing for sweets after the holiday, Dec. 26 is also National Candy Cane Day. So grab one off the tree and take a bite or crush a couple up and add them to your favorite dessert recipes. Here’s one idea: Added crushed candy canes to store-bought hot fudge and serve with vanilla ice cream.
5. Everybody loves a trip to the zoo! It’s perfect for the whole family — any age, boy or girl. The animals never cease to entertain, and there aren’t any TVs or video games to distract your youngsters. Take advantage of these national treasures and celebrate Visit the Zoo Day on Dec. 27 as a family.