(StatePoint) As you shift from outdoor barbecues to indoor feasts and gatherings, make sure your home is in tip-top shape with these five simple updates.
1. Picture Perfect Gallery Wall
Show love to your favorite seasons by showcasing them on a featured gallery wall, which is a top design trend in 2015:
• Gather a series of picture frames. Use ones that vary in size to create an eclectic look.
• Using burlap, white paper, newspaper, or even pages from an old wallpaper book, place the material on the frame’s backing to create a unique backdrop.
• Next, customize the gallery for fall by placing real or faux foliage in the frames. Since the frames are already hung, you can easily swap out décor for different seasons.
2. Painted Accent Wall
Take your living area from lifeless to lovely with a pop of color. Paint an accent wall in a deep, rich hue to set the autumn scene in your home. Darker paint colors tend show more imperfections, so ensure a flawless finish by using painter’s tape to achieve sharp paint lines on trim, baseboards, crown molding and around doors and windows. You can prevent paint bleed with FrogTape brand painter’s tape, which is treated with patented PaintBlock Technology to leave you with a top-notch paint job.
3. Curb Appetites in Style with an Edible Centerpiece
Create a palatable centerpiece as a practical, yet pretty addition to the table with these steps:
• Wrap the base of a candle with plastic wrap to prevent direct contact with your filler material.
• Nestle the candle into a bowl and surround it with small apples, cranberries or coffee beans.
• Take your centerpiece to new heights by painting a decorative stripe or pattern around the bowl.
4. Keep Cocoa Warm with DIY Chalkboard Mugs
Serve guests in style with customizable chalkboard mugs -- here’s how:
• Tape around the top of a porcelain mug and handle, creating a straight line to paint beneath, using painter’s tape, such as FrogTape. Paint the taped-off area with porcelain chalkboard paint. Remove the tape when you finish painting and allow the mug to dry for 24 hours.
• Bake your mug according to your paint’s directions. Allow it to cool. The paint will be as permanent as baked enamel -- and dishwasher and microwave safe.
• Personalize the mug with festive phrases for visitors.
5. Personalize Pumpkins with Paint
Easily amplify your pumpkins with glam -- here’s how:
• Buy a few different shaped gourds and pumpkins from your local farmer’s market or grocery store.
• Spray paint them with a metallic finish, white, lacquer or a textured paint.
• Protect areas you don’t want painted (like the stems) with painter’s tape. You can also use the tape to create designs on the pumpkins prior to painting.
For more home décor inspiration, visit frogtape.com.
With simple projects, you can elevate your home with custom character just in time for fall.
Photo 1 Credit: (c) Shutterstock