Alice Firefighters responded to a garage fire on the 1600 block of Reynolds Tuesday afternoon.

“The building is set up for the washer and dryer,” said Alice Fire Chief Dean Van Nest. “The hose had been disconnected for some time.”

The lint built up behind the dryer and caught fire when the dryer was in use, he stated.

The fire was contained to the garage. No one was injured.

“This shows the importance of having a lint hose and keeping the filter clean,” Van Nest said. “The hose should be connected all the time.”

Lint accumulation is a serious fire safety issue and is highly combustible.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss. The leading cause of home clothes dryer fires is failure to clean them. More home dryer fires occur in the fall and winter months, peaking in January.