Alice Fire Department was called out Tuesday morning for a vacant home on fire on the 100 block of County Road 134.

“They were trying to remove the structure by burning it,” said Fire Chief Dean Van Nest. “The structure was infested with bees.”

The vacant mobile home was located behind another residence that is occupied. The firefighters put out the flames using a water tanker which caused white smoke to mix with the gray sky.

“Unfortunately burning a structure is illegal in the state of Texas,” Van Nest stated.

A citation was given to homeowners by Jim Wells County Sheriff's Department for illegal burning.

The department did not look for (bee) survivors, Van Nest stated with a smile.