Sue Fleming, The Freer Press

A Freer woman, Norma Perez, suffered a burned arm when she discovered fire was blazing in the kitchen area of her historic home located on South Texas St. last Friday afternoon, according to official reports.

"I heard the siren and was driving down the road and saw Norma very upset crying, running back and forth from her house to her grandmother's house across the street yelling for help," said a cousin. "Whenever we hear a siren in town go off, we always check on each other to see if everything is all right…and now it isn't. Her arm was burned and her hair was singed a little bit, too."

The light green painted wooden structure, which was built in the early 1900s, served as the city's first City Hall as well as office of Municipal Court Judge, officials said, citing aged electrical wiring may have been the cause of the fire.

Fire Chief James Finney said volunteers were able to quickly extinguish the fire that resulted with some fire and smoke damage located mostly in the back of the building, but says the home still seems to be habitable. Perez was treated by Freer EMS for burns to her left arm and was transported for a further medical examination, reports said.

Also assisting at the scene were officers with the Freer Police Department and the Texas Department of Public Safety.