As a freshman, San Diego defensive back Sergio Guerra turned some heads; so much so that he won all-state honors.
Midway through this season, the quick and sure-handed ballhawk already has one more interception that he had in all of last season.
Guerra eclipsed last season’s total of five interceptions by picking off two passes in the Vaqueros’ hard-fought 28-23 District 16-3A loss to state-ranked George West Friday night. With the two interceptions Friday night, Guerra’s total for the season is up to six.
• Alice quarterback Isaiah Aguilar had another big night Friday night in Floresville. The Coyotes beat the Tigers in a game in which the Alice High School junior completed 15 of 26 passes for 339 yards and four passing touchdowns. Aguilar rushed for 105 yards and two scores on 10 carries.
• Orange Grove quarterback Coleman King totaled five touchdowns in a 50-49 victory against West Oso Friday night. King had 214 passing yards and 82 yards in rushing.
• Jared Fuhrken had 174 rushing yards on 24 carries for the Orange Grove Bulldogs. He also had a catch which he turned into a 75-yard score.
• San Diego's Ariel Salaiz had a kickoff return for a touchdown in San Diego's loss to George West.
• Premont Cowboys running back Trey Davila had 168 rushing yards and five touchdowns on 22 carries in a 43-12 win against Benavides.
• Alice running back Waylon Moore had five catches for 113 yards against Floresville. Moore also had a 24-yard touchdown. Fellow Alice receiver Jacob Guzman emerged as a serious pass-catching threat Friday. He had five catches for 100 yards, including catches he turned into touchdowns of 29 and 40 yards.
• Alice running back Ismael Cantu had 12 carries for 98 yards in the win against Floresville.