With the Coyotes’ season on the line Friday against Mission Sharyland, quarterback Trey Jaramillo turned in the type of performance that people talk about for years.
Turns out, it was also the kind of game that high school football pundits talk about around the state. For his efforts in the win against Sharyland, Jaramillo was nominated for Mr. Texas Football Player of the Week for Week 13. The award is organized by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football, along with Wells Fargo and in conjunction with the Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl.
Fans are asked to vote for their favorite player at TexasFootball.com. Every Monday at noon, TexasFootball.com announces 10 candidates for that week’s award, based on the previous week’s on-field performance. Voting closes at noon each Friday, with the winner being announced shortly afterward.
Jaramillo drove Alice 83 yards in the final 1:43 to send the Class 5A, Div. II area playoff game into overtime. He then went on to score the game-winning touchdown in the third overtime period to give the Coyotes a 42-39 victory against Sharyland.
He finished the game with 242 yards passing and 167 yards on the ground and three rushing touchdowns.
The other players nominated include:
• Grapeland LB Brayden Cheatham — 10 tackles, 2 FR for TD, 1 INT
• North Shore RB Zachary Evans — 232 yards, 6 TDs rushing; TD receiving
• Tidehaven RB Jeff Williams — 249 yards, 6 TDs rushing
• Yoakum ATH Jordan Moore — 239 yards, 2 TDs rushing; 36 yards, TD receiving; 98-yard kickoff return TD
• Los Fresnos DB Isiah Muniz — 4 INTs
• Wimberley WR Cade Stoever — 6 catches, 135 yards, 3 TDs receiving; punt return TD
• College Station QB Marquez Perez — 239 yards, 3 TDs rushing; 213 yards, TD passing
• DeLeon QB Kevin Yeager — 275 yards, 5 TDs passing
• Bushland QB Colten Moore — 314 yards, 4 TDs passing; 154 yards, 2 TDs rushing