Pictured: A dead body was removed from a hotel room Tuesday afternoon after workers noticed a smell coming from the room and called police. The man had been dead for several days, police said. Photo by OFELIA GARCIA HUNTER
Police believe Pena overdosed
Christopher Maher, Alice Echo-News Journal
Officials believe a drug overdose is to blame for the death of a Ben Bolt man whose body was found in a local hotel Tuesday.
An autopsy was expected to be performed today by the Corpus Christi Medical Examiner.
According to Alice Police Department reports, some of the hotel's housekeeping staff noticed a strong odor coming from one of the rooms of the hotel, and contacted police.
Officers arrived at the hotel, which is located in the 500 block of North Johnson Street in Alice, shortly before 11:30 a.m. and made entry into the room.
According to reports, officers discovered the partially decomposed body of a 50-year-old Ben Bolt man, later identified as Bobby Pena.
A syringe and a small amount of black tar heroin were recovered from an area of the room close to the body, officials said.
Investigators believe Pena had been dead for at least three days before his body was discovered.
Alice Police Chief Danny Bueno said Tuesday investigators believe Pena may have died from a drug overdose. No foul play is suspected in the case, Bueno said. Justice of the Peace Luz Paiz pronounced Pena dead at the scene, and has ordered an autopsy, according to reports.