Christopher Maher, Jim Wells County Correspondent

Charges were dropped last week against a former Jim Wells County Sheriff's Deputy who was indicted last year for allegedly assaulting a 17-year-old man, district court records show.

According to records at the 79th District Court clerk's office, Judge Richard Terrell signed an order dismissing the case against former deputy Carlo Tanguma on June 20.

Tanguma was indicted Aug. 8, 2006 for aggravated assault by a public servant in connection with a May 9, 2006 incident in which he allegedly assaulted Elias Flores Jr.

Tanguma was fired by the sheriff's department shortly after the indictment.

In February, Tanguma was placed in a pre-trial diversion program, or intervention program, which was to include regular meetings with the parole department, counseling and other requirements

In an interview in May, assistant director of probation Julian Serna said Tanguma was expected to remain in the program for a year. Officials with the district attorney's office confirmed Wednesday the case had been dismissed and said Tanguma had been released from the pre-trial diversion program.

Serna could not be reached for comment Wednesday.