Pictured: Alice police investigators taped off the area where blood was found from the victim who was stabbed at the H-E-B. Investigators collected DNA evidence at the scene. Photo by OFELIA GARCIA HUNTER

Police collected blood samples from the scene; man arrested

Ofelia Garcia Hunter, Alice Echo-News Journal

A man was taken by ambulance to a local hospital with stab wounds and another man was taken into custody, police said.

Both are from Ben Bolt, witnesses said.

The alleged stabber was identified by police as Dwain Tichey Jr., 17. The victim was identified as Conrado Gonzalez Jr., 21.

According to police, the victim was stabbed several times at the H-E-B grocery store in the 1100 block of E. Main Street about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Witnesses said the victim was stabbed at one of the registers as he tried to get away from the suspect.

The victim then went toward the frozen section in the middle of the store and ended up in the cosmetic aisle, collapsing on one of the nail polish displays, witnesses said.

Police said Tichey used a knife to stab Gonzalez 15 times.

"They were at the register and all of a sudden the guy started swinging and he tore the (other) guy's shirt," said a witness who didn't want to be identified. "He stabbed him several times…It just happened so fast."

Another witness said the ordeal was unbelievable.

"I was standing right next to them with my baby," she said as she was shaking.

Five police units responded to the stabbing at H-E-B and investigators were collecting blood samples from the floor near the fast lane registers in the front section of the store.

"The investigation is ongoing and we have several witness to get statements from," Sgt. Richard DeLeon said. "The stabbing at this point is unclear how it happened. One (man) is in the hospital and the other (man) is in custody. There is a lot of blood and we are collecting it for DNA analysis."

Police said Tichey was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Gonzalez was treated for his wounds and released.

According to reports, a former police officer detained Tichey in the store until Alice police arrived.