Ofelia Garcia Hunter, Alice Echo-News Journal
Ben Bolt residents can now drink and cook with their water after the tests from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality issued a clean bill Friday morning, Ben Bolt water officials said.
After water tests came back from TCEQ Friday morning with no sign of contamination to the water, water officials lifted the boil notification.
"This morning (Friday) we got a fax from the lab and it came out good," said Melida Rangel, general manager for the water district.
A written statement to the Jim Wells County Fresh Water Supply District No. 1 customers thanks them for their patients.
"It is no longer necessary to boil the water. The water system officials have received clearance from TCEQ. The water system has ensured that adequate pressure and chlorine levels have been restored and that bacteriological monitoring shows the water is free of contamination," the letter states.
"The boil water precautionary measure may be discontinued. Thank you very much to all our customers for being so patient and understanding."
Ben Bolt residents were under a boil notification for a week and were instructed by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality to boil their water used for drinking and cooking.
The problem was caused by an accident on Aug. 9 where a 18-wheeler snagged some power lines on Highway 281 that resulted in a burned out motor in the water system.