Had been battling cancer; died from a heart attack

Mauricio Julian Cuellar Jr., Alice Echo-News Journal

Jim Wells County Pct. 6 Constable Alonzo "Lonnie" Lozano, 49, passed away late Sunday night from a massive heart attack, following his months' long struggle with cancer.

Pct. 6 Justice of the Peace Juan "Kino" Rodriguez said Lozano was a real professional and will be missed greatly.

"He was always a real professional. We've missed his presence here these last few months," Rodriguez said. "I had faith he was going to make it. I will miss him."

During his time battling cancer at M.D. Anderson in Houston, friends said Lozano was tough about his treatment and never showed signs of weakness.

Albert Perez, owner of Dos Amigos Guns and one of Lozano's closest friends, said he never gave up.

"He wanted to fight this, He fought as long as he could. We were together every day we went up there, and he never gave up," Perez said.

"He was the best guy I have ever been friends with. He was always positive. He was just an awesome guy."

Lozano's passing was unexpected at first, friends said.

Doctors in Alice told him he had developed clots in his lungs, which he didn't expect. Perez said that a pulmonary aneurysm from the clot blocked one of the arteries from his heart to his lung.

"He was the kind of guy who would give you the shirt off his back. He was always thinking of his grandkids and his nieces and nephews. He also prayed all the time, and always had someone else in his prayers, not just himself," Perez said.

Lozano's sister, Judi Lozano, agreed her brother was a good man.

"My mom put that in all of us. My brother had tremendous belief in God," she said.

His prayers were put to the test following brain surgery earlier this year. After growing up with a deep love of God and religion, Lozano found that the surgery had taken away his memory of the "Our Father." That loss pained him, family members said, but he relearned his prayers and continued to fight against his cancer.

"My brother loved his profession, as a law officer, he enjoyed that to the best of his abilities. He didn't want to hear anyone say he couldn't do it," Judi Lozano said. "He enjoyed hunting, fishing and being with friends and family. He loved to be around people who liked to laugh. He wanted to make a difference, and apparently he did. He was just so full of life."

Lozano was very optimistic during his treatment, family members said. He was aware of what was going on at all times, and received the best care possible. When it came to his two major surgeries, friends say he was resolute, "it was do or die," Lozano would say before surgery. Judi Lozano said her brother didn't want to die.

"The sickness changed his life because he had to stop work and that was something he never wanted to do. That was what got to him the most. He wanted to get up in the morning and patrol his area," she said.