Christoher Maher, Alice Echo-News Journal
A third suspect was arrested over the weekend in connection with a series of drive-by shootings that occurred in the city last week, but authorities are still searching for two suspects wanted in connection to the case.
Robert Martinez, 19, of Alice, was arrested shortly before 10 p.m. Saturday on a warrant, according to Alice Police Department records.
Martinez was charged with deadly conduct and was transported to the Jim Wells County jail. He was released Sunday on a $30,000 surety bond.
Officials with the Alice Police Department said Monday they have obtained warrants and are searching for two other suspects wanted in connection with the shootings.
Those suspects were identified as Javier Cervantes Jr., 19, and Hermelinda Garcia, 28.
Two other suspects have already been arrested and charged in the shootings.
Anthony Blas Ruiz, 18, was arrested Friday and charged with deadly conduct for discharging a firearm.
Ruiz's arrest came one day after the arrest of another teenage suspect in the shootings, Romeo Arron Garcia, 17. Garcia has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
Alice Police Chief Danny Bueno said last week the first drive-by occurred on April 15 at 5:30 p.m. on St. Joseph Street.
On April 18, the drive-bys continued, twice in the 800 block of St. Joseph at 7:16 p.m. and 8:29 p.m. and six minutes later in the 100 block of E. Sixth Street at 8:35 p.m. Bueno said the drive-bys are gang-related and police have been questioning gang members of the Latin Kings and the Brown and Proud group.
The suspects allegedly drove up to the home and began shooting, leaving behind bullet holes in houses, vehicles and windows.
Police recovered two shotguns and a handgun and are looking for a nine-millimeter handgun.
Bueno said six individuals were victimized, including two elderly and several children.