Pictured: Fire Marshal Patrick Thomas shows Josh Rios the charred lamp he suspects started a fire after it overheated in an apartment on Duval Street. Photo by OFELIA GARCIA HUNTER

No one injured in Tuesday fire at Alician Manor

Ofelia Garcia Hunter, Alice Echo-News Journal

An overheated lamp was possibly the cause of a small fire at an apartment at the Alician Manor complex on Duval Street Tuesday afternoon, fire officials said.

Tiffany Ramos and her 3-year-old daughter returned to their apartment at 110 S. Duval Street when they noticed smoke coming from their apartment about 2 p.m. Tuesday.

"They came home and they saw some smoke," Fire Chief Dean Van Nest said. "It was a small amount of fire and small amount of damage."

Fire Marshal Patrick Thomas said the fire possibly was ignited by an overheated lamp that was left on.

The lamp shade caught fire and burned the lamp, and a wicker shelf it sat on.

Josh Rios, who was helping his wife move, said the smoke was intense.

"We had stuff all ready to move," he said. "As soon as I rolled up, I saw smoke, I got out there and I ran in, but it was too hot."

No one was at the apartment at the time and no injuries were reported, fire officials said.

"The fire was accidental," Thomas said. "We ruled out any electrical suspicions."