Spilled gasoline believed to have sparked fire

Sue Fleming, The Freer Press

Freer volunteer firefighters responded to a fire that occurred inside a storage building next to a residence in the 800 block of West Riley about 12:35 p.m. on Saturday.

After arriving at the scene, firefighters determined a four-wheeler had caught fire and had been doused with a water hose.

The fifteen-year-old owner of the all-terrain vehicle explained he had poured gasoline into the tank and some had dripped underneath on the floor, according to the report.

"When I turned it on, started the engine, there was a spark and it caught on fire," he said.

The teenager said he then quickly moved the four-wheeler outside to prevent the flames from spreading further inside the shed and possibly to his home nearby.

The teen's mother was relieved no one was hurt during the incident but said, "he's not getting another one."

Reports show the only visible damage to the storage shed was the back door, which was charred on the inside by the fire.