Alice firemen were on standby for part of Tuesday as workers repaired a rupture pipeline which filled the air with dangerous natural gas.
The gas leak was discovered at about 9:20 a.m. Tuesday after natural gas could be smelled bellowing out of manholes and gutters by the Walgreens driveway on Texas Boulevard.
Firemen stood watch as CenterPoint Energy workers dug around the four-inch pipeline and repaired the leak.
A lane near the intersection of Texas and Main Street was blocked off for some six hours. No injuries were reported.